RIDING THE BULL AND THE BEAR: A METAPHOR ANALYSIS OF TESLA'S STOCK VOLATILITY IN BUSINESS MEDIA DISCOURSE
The main aim of the study is to explore the use of conceptual metaphors in the business media discourse surrounding the volatility of the Tesla stock. The theoretical framework of Lakoff and Johnson's conceptual metaphor theory serves as the foundation of the study, helping us to identify a variety of metaphorical constructs that journalists use to describe Tesla's stock movements. The analysis uncovers a diverse set of metaphorical narratives - “roller coaster,” “rocket,” “tidal wave,” “bubble,” “wild beast,” “mountain range,” “seesaw,” and others. These metaphors are grouped into different categories that contribute unique shades of meaning to the discourse on Tesla's stock volatility. The metaphors collectively paint a vivid picture of highrisk, high-reward investing that is intertwined with themes of excitement, unpredictability, and the need for strategic decision-making. The means of verbalization for various metaphors are also explored as they provide a rich linguistic inventory for each metaphorical construct. This metaphorical analysis reveals not only the diverse narrative strategies employed by the business media but also offers insights into how these metaphors shape public perception and investor sentiment towards Tesla's stock volatility. The implications of these findings extend beyond Tesla. The findings contribute to the general understanding of business media discourse and the influential role of metaphor in shaping the coverage of complex economic phenomena.
2. Charteris-Black, J. (2004). Corpus Approaches to Critical Metaphor Analysis. Palgrave Macmillan.
3. Henderson, W. (1982). Metaphor in Economics. Economics, 18(2), 147–157.
4. Lakoff, G., & Johnson, M. (1980). Metaphors We Live By. The University of Chicago Press.
5. McCloskey, D. N. (1995). Metaphors Economists Live By. Social Research, 62(2), 215–237.
6. Musolff, A. (2004). Metaphor and Political Discourse: Analogical Reasoning in Debates about Europe. Palgrave Macmillan.
7. Semino, E. (2016). Metaphor in Discourse. Cambridge University Press.
Abstract views: 68 PDF Downloads: 60