WAYS OF PRESERVING THE NATIONAL IDENTITY OF THE UKRAINIAN DIASPORA IN TURKEY (a Case Study of the City of Bursa, Republic of Turkey)
This article examines possible strategies for preserving the national identity of Ukrainians living outside of Ukraine, specifically in the Republic of Turkey for many years, as well as those who were forced to leave Ukrainian territory due to Russia's open military aggression against Ukraine in 2022. The research material is based on the achievements of the Ukrainian community in the Turkish city of Bursa, which is one of the largest cities in the Republic of Turkey. The close proximity of Bursa to Istanbul, and therefore to Turkey's major transportation hub, led Ukrainians to choose this city for temporary residence outside of Ukraine as a result of the Russian-Ukrainian war. Despite the fact that the Turkish government does not extensively cover the events currently taking place in Ukraine in the majority of media outlets, has not imposed sanctions against Russia and the increasing number of Russians in Turkey, the Ukrainian community is making significant efforts to preserve, promote, and manifest the Ukrainian language, culture, and unity. The study focuses on the means and methods that have contributed to the exploration of these paths. It analyzes the achievements of Ukrainians in the fields of education, politics, religion, and culture. The article also highlights certain volunteer initiatives, including online volunteering, by Ukrainians, particularly those who were forced to leave Ukraine due to the full-scale war, in the city of Bursa.
2. Virnyk O.A. (2023) Problemy zberejennia ukrayinskoyi identychnosti u Turechyni ta shlahy yih podolannia [Problems of preserving Ukrainian identity in Turkey and ways to overcome them. Materials of the scientific conference “Ukrainian forced migrants: integration, identity, return”, May 25, 2023, Lviv] (in Ukrainian).
3. Klyuchkovska I., Pyatkovska O., Marusyk Y., Cherepenchuk V., Manyuk H. (2022). Ukrayintsi Turechynny: syspilstvo, identychnist, maybutne [Ukrainians of Turkey: society, identity, future. Research results. Lviv, 315 p. URL: https://miok.lviv.ua/?p=21047 (in Ukrainian).
4. Official website of the Embassy of Ukraine in the Republic of Turkey. URL: https://turkiye. mfa.gov.ua/spivrobitnictvo/ukrayinska-gromada-v-turechchini (in Ukrainian).
5. Piskun V. M. (2004) Ukrayinska politychna emigratsia i diaspora u XX st.: formy kulturnogo i intelektualnogo uvzayemnennya v krayinah projyvannya [Ukrainian political emigration and diaspora in the 20th century: forms of cultural and intellectual reciprocity in the countries of residence / V.M. Piskun, A.V. Tsipko, O.V. Shcherbatiuk etc. Ukrainianism in the world: traditional culture and community relations. Monograph. K. : “Nichlava”, 2004. 252 p. (in Ukrainian).
6. Stepyko M. T. (2011) Ukrayinska identychnyst: fenomen i zasady formuvannya [Ukrainian identity: phenomenon and principles of formation : monograph. 2011. 336 p. (in Ukrainian).
7. Strategic partnership with the Republic of Turkey: foreign economic aspects: analyst. add. (2022) [ed. N. Gavrylenko, A. Bobrovytskyi, M. Zamikula, etc.; general ed. M. Palamarchuk, R. Yuldasheva. Kyiv, 2022. 59 p. URL: https://doi.org/10.53679/NISS-analytrep.2022.16 (in Ukrainian).
8. Society of Ukrainians in Bursa. URL: https://instagram.com/ua.bursa?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ== (in Ukrainian).
9. The Ukrainian community of Bursa this year celebrated Easter in a special way (post on the official page of the Society of Ukrainians in Bursa). URL: https://www.instagram.com/p/ CrJBMpeoTRe (in Ukrainian).
10. Ukrainians in Turkey. International Institute of Education, Culture and Diaspora Relations. URL: https://miok.lviv.ua/?p=20355 (in Ukrainian).
11. I am Ukrainian. A mobile application that unites Ukrainians. URL: https://iamukrainian. app (in Ukrainian).
12. Nilüfer ve Mykolaiv’in 20 yıllık örnek kardeşliği. Nilüfer Belediyesi. Bursa. (20 years of exemplary brotherhood of Nilüfer and Mykolaiv). URL: https://www.nilufer.bel.tr/haber/ nilufer-ve-mykolaiv-in-20-yillik-ornek-kardesligi (in Turkish).
Abstract views: 45 PDF Downloads: 27