PEACE AND WAR ASSOCIATIONS OF UKRAINIAN HUMANITIES STUDENTS
The aim of this paper is to analyze the associations of Ukrainian humanities students given on PEACE and WAR stimuli. The association remains an important subject for studying in many scientific fields because associating is a continued process of making links between phenomena of cultural, social and physical surroundings, consequently it can reveal some concealed procedures of thinking. Through the semantic analysis of association units, it is possible to explicit, though partially, some conceptual filling of consciousness. The associative experiment is one of the most widespread methods for obtaining empirical data for the linguistic science of our country. This paper discusses all stages of the development of such an experiment and its possible disadvantages. However, such surveys allow amendments as any experimental method, its benefits make it generally accepted in the scientific society. The stimuli were chosen due to their crucial role in current life of the Ukrainian nation. Methods used in the study: an associative experiment, semantic and quantitative analyses of the results.
2. Bilodid, I. (n.d.). Viina (War). In Slovnyk ukrainskoi movy: v 11 tomakh [The Ukrainian language dictionary in 11 volumes], volume 1. [in Ukrainian]
3. Burgess, T. (2001) Information Systems Services. Guide to the Design of Questionnaires. A general introduction to the design of questionnaires for survey research. University of Leeds.
4. Krosnick, J. A. and Presser, S. (2009) Question and Questionnaire Design. Handbook of Survey Research (2nd Edition). James D. Wright and Peter V. Marsden (Eds). San Diego, CA: Elsevier.
5. Nelson, D., McEvoy, C., & Dennis, S. (2012). What is and what does free association measure? Memory & Cognition. doi: 10.3758/BF03209337
6. Panina, N. (2001). Tehnologiya sociologicheskogo issledovaniya [Technology of social study]. Kyiv: In-t sociolohii NAN Ukrainy. [in Russian]
7. Savchuk, E., Halunova, N. (2018). Osoblyvosti spryiniattia koloropoznachen u movnii kartyni svitu anhlomovnykh predstavnykiv serednoho viku [The Specifics of the Perception of the Names of Colours in the Language World Model of English-speaking Middle-aged Representatives]. Visnyk Kharkivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu imeni V. N. Karazina. Seriia : Filolohiia, 78, 185–188. Kharkiv. Retrieved June 26, 2020, from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/VKhIFL_2018_78_39
8. Selivanova, O. (2010). Linhvistychna entsyklopediia [Linguistic encyclopedia]. Poltava : Dovkillia-K. [in Ukranian]
9. Suimenko, Y. (n.d.). Anketne opytuvannia: mystetstvo stavyty zapytannia [ A questionnaire based survey: the art of asking questions]. Retrieved June 26, 2020, from https://divovo.in.ua/anketne-opituvannya-mistectvo-staviti-zapitannya.html [in Ukrainian]
10. Thwaites, P.A. (2018). Lexical and distributional influences on word association response generation. Retrieved June 26, 2020, from https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Lexical-and-distributional-influences-on-word-Thwaites/9ceeb38ffa2edd24c57f42f6b157bca86fc3eecf
11. Ufimtseva, N. (2014). The Associative Dictionary as a Model of the Linguistic Picture of the World. Procedia. Social and Behavioral Sciences, 154, 36–44.
Abstract views: 130 PDF Downloads: 29