FILM ADAPTATION OF LITERARY WORKS AS A SPECIFIC TYPE OF INTERSEMIOTIC TRANSLATION
This paper deals with the problem of the phenomenon of intersemiotic translation in the field of film translation, which provides recoding of a work from one sign system to another. The process of intersemiotic translation has certain features and creates a special system of relations between the literary source and its film adaptation. Intersemiotic translation represents the field of new linguistic processes, as they tend to create different interpretations of signs. During the process of translating a literary work into the language of cinema, the skills and emotions of the actors play a significant role, as well as the ability of the director and screenwriter to identify the key elements of the literary piece that must be translated effectively into the language of film. Methods used in the study: a comparative method (contrast of lexical, grammatical and phonetic phenomena in English and Ukrainian), a descriptive method, and a method of observation.
2. Atonement. Movie. https://ww1.123moviesfree.net/movie/atonement-5362/watching.html
3. Eco, Umberto. (2000). Experience in translation. University of Toronto Press, 112 p.
4. Ekranizatsiia. Entsyklopediia Suchasnoi Ukrainy [Film adaptation. Encyclopedia of modern Ukraine] https://esu.com.ua/ [in Ukrainian]
5. Jakobson, Roman. (1959). On Linguistic Aspects of Translation, in Brower, On Translation, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, pp. 232–239.
6. Lyntvar, Olha (2015). Linhvostylistychni zasoby vyrazhennia idiostyliu V. M. Tekkereia v oryhinali i perekladi (na materiali tekstu romanu «Yarmarok suiety» ta joho ekranizatsii) [Linguistic means of expressing the idiostyle of W. M. Thackeray in the sourced and translated text (based on the text of the novel «Vanity Fair» and its film adaptation)] Dys. kand. fil. nauk. [in Ukrainian]
7. McEwan, Ian. (2001) Atonement. Jonathan Cape, 371 p.
8. McEwan, Ian. (2008). Spokuta. Novel. Translated from English by Viktor Dmytruk. Lviv, 344 p. [in Ukrainian]
9. Metafiction. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Literature. https://oxfordre.com/literature
10. Metz, C. (1974). Film Language: A Semiotics of the Cinema. New York, Oxford university Press, 268 p.
11. Naremore. (2000). Film Adaptation. New Brunswick: Rutgers Univ. Press.
12. Perdikaki, K. (2016). Towards a model for the study of film adaptation as intersemiotic translation. Intralinea. https://www.academia.edu/35334562/Towards_a_ model_for_the_ study_of_film_adaptation_as_intersemiotic_translation
13. Spokuta. Film. https://uakino.club/filmy/militaries/611-spokuta.html [in Ukrainian]
14. Torop, P. (2013). The Ideological aspect of intersemiotic translation and montage. Sign System. Studies. 41(2/3). 241–265. https://doi.org/10.12697/SSS.2013.41.2-3.07
Abstract views: 58 PDF Downloads: 46