COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF SUCCESS IN HIGHER EDUCATION IN UKRAINE AND THE USA
The article is devoted to the study of the success in the system of higher education in the USA and Ukraine. This concept in higher education has interested scholars in recent decades and has caused many debates about determining student progress. At the end of the twentieth century in the United States, student achievement was measured by quantitative indicators that demonstrated the effectiveness of higher education. But the gradual change in the higher education priorities, the characteristics of the students, the need to improve the educational process has led to a revision of the definition of this phenomenon and provoked a number of studies to expand this concept, creating models of success. The modern definition of student success in US higher education establishments involves academic success and the development of the necessary personality traits, skills and abilities for further self-realization. Ukrainian researchers consider success as a category of pedagogical psychology, as this concept concerns, first of all, the personal development of the student, the skills and abilities of useful interaction. At the same time, a number of studies made by Ukrainian educators are devoted to the issue of academic success, which is also considered as a qualitative development of the student`s personality. Unfortunately, compared to the United States, Ukraine does not have sufficient data on the quality of higher education, there are no experimental studies of success models for students. There is a lack of information on further self-realization of students, their employment. Thus comparing student success in the two countries, it can be concluded that there is a difference in understanding of this concept by American and Ukrainian scholars, the issue of retention, persistence and graduation is not sufficiently developed by Ukrainian educators. The problem to find the ways to improve higher education is common, but its development, as well as the creation of models for achieving success is not sufficiently represented in Ukrainian scientific discourses.
2. Cuseo J. (2007, July). The big picture. Esource for College Transitions. Retrieved from: https://sc.edu/nrc/system/pub_files/ES_4-6_Jul07. pdf
3. Dyachenko M.I., Kandybovich L.A. (1993) Psikhologiya vysshey shkoly: Ucheb. posob [Psychology of higher education: texrbook]. Mn.: Universitetskoye [in Ukrainian].
4. Ilyina Yu. M. (2009) Naukovyi ohlyad problematyky uspikhu ta uspishnosti [Scientific review of the problem of success and success]. Aktualni problemy psykholohiyi: Psykholohichna teoriya i tekhnolohiya navchannya. Kyiv: Vyd-vo NPU imeni M. P. Drahomanova. vol. 8, no. 6 [in Ukrainian].
5. Goncharova Ye. N. (2016) Kontsept uspekh/success v russkoy i amerikanskoy lingvokulturakh: istoriko-etimologicheskiy aspekt [The concept of success in Russian and American linguistic cultures: historical and etymological aspect]. Vestnik Adygeyskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya 2: Filologiya i iskusstvovedeniye. no. 2 (177) [in Russian].
6. Hearn J. C. (2006, October). Student success: What research suggests for policy and practice. Retrieved from: https://nces.ed.gov/npec/pdf/synth_Hearn.pdf
7. Higher Learning Commission (2018) Defining student success data: Recommendations for changing the conversation. Retrieved from: http://download.hlcommission.org/initiatives/StudentSuccessConversation.pdf
8. Huberskyy L., Andrushchenko V. (2008) Filosofiya yak teoriya ta metodolohiya rozvytku osvity [Philosophy as a theory and methodology of educational development]. K.: «MP Lesya» [in Ukrainian].
9. Kaslova A.A, Chernova N.A. (2010) Kontseptsiya uspekha v russko-angloyazychnoy kartine mira [The concept of success in the Russian and English language picture of the world]. Political Linguistics (2) 32, 176-180 [in Russian].
10. Kim E., Newton F., Downey R., & Benton S. (2010). Personal factors impacting college student success: Constructing college learning effectiveness inventory (CLEI). 44, 112-125.
11. Kinzie J. & Kuh G. (2016) Review of student success frameworks to mobilize higher education. Retrieved from Center for Postsecondary Research website: http://cpr.indiana.edu/.
12. Kinzie J., & Kuh G. (2017) Reframing student success in college: Advancing know-what and know-how. Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning, 49, 19-27. DOI:10.1080/00091383.2017.1321429
13. Kuh G. D., J. L. Kinzie, J. A. Buckley, B. K. Bridges, and J. C. Hayek. (2006) What Matters to Student Success: A Review of the Literature Volume 8. Washington, DC: National Postsecondary Education Cooperative
14. Kocharyan A.S., Frolova Ye.V., Pavlenko V.N., Chichikhina N.A. (2009) Effektivnost uchebnoy deyatelnosti studentov: problema vybora faktorov uspeshnosti i misheney pedagogicheskogo vozdeystviya [The effectiveness of educational activities of students: the problem of choosing the factors of success and targets of pedagogical influence]. Problemi yempirichnikh doslidzhen u psikhologii. vol. 2 [in Russian].
15. Kozmenko O. (2019) Analiz vyznachennya uspikhu v systemi vyshchoyi osvity SSHA na pochatku XXI stolittya [Analysis of the definition of success in the system of higher education in the United States at the beginning of the XXI century]. Dukhovnist osobystosti: metodolohiya, teoriya i praktyka. Severodonetsk: vyd-vo SNU im. V. Dalya, vol. 5 (92), pp. 108-118. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33216/2220-6310-2019-92-5-108-118 [in Ukrainian].
16. Kozmenko O.I. (2019) Suchasni teoretychni pohlyady na uspikh studentiv [Modern theoretical views on student success]. Aktualni pytannya humanitarnykh nauk: mizhvuzivskyy zbirnyk naukovykh prats molodykh vchenykh Drohobytskoho derzhavnoho pedahohichnoho universytetu imeni Ivana Franka. Drohobych: Vydavnychyy dim “Helvetyka”. no. 23. vol. 2, pp. 123-127 [in Ukrainian].
17. Kozmenko O. (2020) Vyznachennya uspikhu studentiv: analiz terminiv [Definition of student success: analysis of terms]. Pedahohika formuvannya tvorchoyi osobystosti u vyshchiy i zahalnoosvitniy shkolakh. Zaporizhzhya: KPU, no. 68. vol. 1, pp. 73-77. DOI https://doi.org/10.32840/1992-5786.2020.68-1.14 [in Ukrainian].
18. Kuritskaya Yu. V. (2012) Sotsialno-filosofskaya kontseptsiya fenomena uspekha [Socio-philosophical concept of the phenomenon of success]. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiyskoy akademii nauk, no. 14 (2-4), pp. 1072-1074 [in Russian].
19. Kuznetsov Ya. Ye. (2001) K voprosu o klassifikatsii faktorov uspeshnosti pedagogicheskogo protsessa [To the question of the classification of factors of the success of the pedagogical process] Paradigma. no. 1. Krasnoyarsk: SibGTU [in Russian].
20. Obama B. (2009, February 24). Address to Joint Session of Congress. Retrieved from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/remarks-president-barack-obama-address-joint-sessioncongress
21. Perna L. W., & Thomas, S. L. (2006) A framework for reducing the college success gap and promoting success for all. Washington, DC: National Postsecondary Education Cooperative.
22. Richnyy zvit Natsionalnoho ahentstva iz zabezpechennya yakosti vyshchoyi osvity za 2019 rik (2020) [Annual report of the National Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education for 2019]. Kyyiv: Natsionalne ahentstvo iz zabezpechennya yakosti vyshchoyi osvity [in Ukrainian]. Romanovskyy O. H. (2011) Pedahohika uspikhu: yiyi sutnist ta osnovni napryamy vyvchennya [Pedagogy of success: its essence and main directions of study]. Teoriya i praktyka upravlinnya sotsialnymy systemamy. no. 2 [in Ukrainian].
23. Ryff C. D. (2018) Well-being with soul: Science in pursuit of human potential. Perspectives on Psychological Science.
24. Shevchenko H. P. (2017) Dukhovna bezpeka: dukhovna kultura i dukhovni tcinnosti suchasnoi ludyny [Spiritual security: spiritual culture and spiritual values of modern person]. Dukhovnist osobystosti: metodologhiia, teoriia i praktyka, no. 3, pp. 361-373. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/domtp_2017_3_32 [in Ukrainian].
25. Sidorchuk N.G., Dubasenyuk A.A. (2002) Professionalnaya pedagogicheskaya deyatelnost: sushchnost i sovremennyye podkhody [Professional pedagogical activity: essence and modern approaches]. Akmeologiya. no. 7. SPb: Sankt-Peterburgskaya Akmeologicheskaya Akademiya [in Russian].
26. Undergraduate Retention and Graduation Rates (April 2020) Retrieved from: https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_ctr.asp
27. Wolff-Eisenberg, C. & Braddlee. (2018) Amplifying student voices. Community college libraries and academic support for student success. Retrieved from: https://sr.ithaka.org/wp-content/uploads /2018/08/SR_Report_Amplifying_Student_Voices_CCLASS- _08132018.pdf
Abstract views: 9 PDF Downloads: 6